nl / en

Mental health care

Mental care at your university

All educational institutions offer (study related) mental care. Every university has a special confidant you can talk to and most have their own psychologists, courses and trainings. If you feel you need help on any of the issues below, please talk to your dean, teacher or mentor, enquire at your international office and look at the intranet to find out about possible services.

  • study stress, pressure or burn-out syndromes,
  • depression,
  • loneliness or homesickness,
  • addiction (alcohol, drugs, gaming, etc.),
  • violence or abuse (sexual or unsafety) and
  • money problems.

Getting help from your general practitioner

If you need mental health support, there are various professionals who may be able to help you. The first step should be to go see your general practitioner (GP); he or she will be familiar with your situation and will help you find the treatment that is most suited for you. Your GP will also need to provide you with a referral letter to a psychologist or psychiatrist in order for insurance to cover your treatment. Read more about Dutch mental health and costs

Connect with fellow students

Do you sometimes feel lonely, do you find it difficult to study, do you find it difficult to settle down at your university or college, or do you just need someone to listen to you? On the free platform Frisse Gedachtes you can make contact with fellow students (psychology students and experience experts) anonymously. For example via chat. Choose a buddy and he or she will offer you a listening ear.

Direct help

Do you or your friend need to talk with someone (anonymously) right now? Call 0900-0113 or go to for a live chat. This website also gives access to online therapy and self help courses.