AFRITUDE and jury chairman Jay Chin
The Hague, February 28, 2024 – In a steamy Paardcafé, five promising DJs showed their talent to a professional jury on Tuesday evening, February 27. And the winner is…AFRITUDE! AFRITUDE was the first act of the evening to kick off the show. She did this mercilessly, no one was able to keep their feet on the ground.
Valentijn Schulz from The Hague University of Applied Sciences organizes this annual HI The Hague Student DJ Contest: “We have never had so many women behind the decks before, super entries that The Hague will notice in the future. The DJs present a completely new sound: varied styles and wonderfully danceable. It is going to be a great party in the Student Area of the Liberation Festival on the Malieveld.”
“My name is Danischka, and I DJ under the name AFRITUDE. I study European Studies at The Hague University of Applied Sciences and also spend a lot of time DJing. I grew up with music and DJing, because my father is also a DJ. I got my first DJ lesson when I was 8 years old and over the years my love for the profession has continued to grow. My favorite hobby is of course DJing, which will hopefully develop into a great career. Together with my sister I form DJ duo 'DJs With AFRITUDE'. Because I started DJing at a young age, I have already built up quite a bit of experience, especially at high school parties in the The Hague region.”
The finalists and former finalists will perform in the HI The Hague Student Experience at the Liberation Festival The Hague on May 5. We expect Mayor Jan van Zanen there around 4 p.m., who will have a meet & greet with this pool of talent.
Open call 2024: we are looking for DJs who make The Hague dance!
DJ contest! Do you study in The Hague, do you have DJ skills and do you want to perform at festivals? Submit your tracks! A jury of professional DJs will choose the winner. The winning DJ gets a solo podium place at three festivals in The Hague. Will this be your breakthrough with the general public?
Participate and win!
- All students of higher education institutions in The Hague can participate.
- DJs must be students in The Hague and the music must of course be danceable.
- You can submit until January 29, 2024, via this link and by completing the steps under 'How to compete'.
If the jury chooses you as the best, you will have a chance to perform at the following festivals:
- Liberation Festival (50,000 visitors) May 5, 2024
- The Hague Outdoor (15,000 visitors) June, 2024
- Intro festival of The Hague University of Applied Sciences (5,000 visitors) August 2024
In addition to the podium places, a cash prize is also offered to the winner!
Photo: winner WEZZ in Paardcafé February 2023
How to compete
- Upload a 30 to 60 minute demo on Soundcloud or Mixcloud,
- Set the title as follows: DJNAME – Student dj-contest - The City of The Hague,
- Send the link + tracklist to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Also send your personal details and biography (including name, address, telephone number, the educational institution where you study, education, student number, DJ experience, locations where you played, hobbies, fun facts about yourself).
- Submit your entry no later than January 29, 2024!
Contest: where and when?
The demos are judged by the professional jury. The best entries will be invited to the DJ contest evening in the Paardcafé at Prinsegracht 10 in The Hague on February 27 2024 at 18.00 hours. Everyone is welcome to join! The entrance is free.
Jury: Bright (PAARD), Jay (MAMA AFRICA), Vini (ZEUS), Wezz (WINNER 2023).
Winner 2022: HALO
Aftermovie HI The Hague Student Experience at Liberation Festival 2023
Participating higher education institutions
Students from these educational institutions can participate in the DJ contest: The Hague University of Applied Sciences, Leiden University Campus The Hague, Inholland University of Applied Sciences The Hague, Royal Conservatoire, Royal Academy of Art, Hotelschool The Hague, Institute of Social Studies.