Every student who stays in The Netherlands for more than 90 days will need a residence permit, a Citizen Service Number (BSN) and has to register at the municipality of The Hague (when you study in The Hague). You need these documents for example to open a bank account and to take out a health insurance policy.
When coming to the Netherlands, this is the order to arrange your documents:
- Residence permit and/or visa, your educational institution can help you with this (see below).
- Proof of address in The Hague by having found a short-term or long-term accommodation. Please make sure you rent accommodation where you can register. Otherwise you cannot get your BSN.
- Register at the municipality to get you Citizen Registration Number (BSN).
- Open a Dutch bank account.
- Get health insurance.
- Register with a general practioner.
- Get a Dutch phone plan.
Visa and residence permit
After being accepted for you studies, your educational institution can help you apply for a visa and/or residence permit. Reach out to the international office of:
- The Hague University of Applied Sciences
- Inholland University of Applied Sciences The Hague
- International Institute of Social Studies
- Royal Conservatoir
- Royal Academy of Art
- Leiden University, Campus The Hague
- Delft University of Technology, Campus The Hague
Read more about registration for international students.
Register at the municipality of The Hague and Citizen Service Number (BSN)
If you stay 4 months or more in the Netherlands you need to register with the municipality. As a result you will get a Burgerservicenummer (BSN) or Citizen Service Number. You need to make an appointment to register at the municipality. Every semester the municipality of The Hague has special student registration desks. You will receive your BSN during the appointment. Note: you need a proof of address in The Hague to be able to register. If you will live outside of The Hague, you will need to contact the municipality you will live in for a registration appointment.
Read more about registering at the Municipality of The Hague.