nl / en

General practitioners and health centres

Finding a general practitioner

Finding a general practitioner (huisarts, GP or family doctor) should be a priority when you are settling down in your new city. Your general practitioner is your link to the medical system, as they will be able to prescribe medicines and refer you to any specialist.

General practitioner for students

The Hague has three special student general practitioners: StudentDoc, The Student Doctors and General practice Shams. Read more bout what the student general practitioners do and how to register.

If you do not want to register at one of these general practitioners, you can approach any other general practitioner within the postal area code of your home. Need help? The Hague Internation Centre can assist you in finding a general practitioner in The Hague.

General practitioner: your starting point for health care

The general practitioner (GP) is almost always the first person to consult when facing health problems – they see a range of patients, from babies to pregnant women, adults and the elderly. The GP is familiar with a range of symptoms such as skin conditions, gynaecological problems, infections, psychological problems, airway problems, or problems with the heart, as well as headaches, stomach-aches and sexual complaints.

General practitioners can perform a number of tests themselves and can request a wide range of other tests, such as STD tests, pap smears, blood work, ECGs and X-rays. In the majority of cases the GP will treat the complaint directly, either by giving advice or prescribing medication. The GP also does minor surgery, such as treating wounds or doing sutures, and the placement of Intrauterine Devices (IUDs).

If the GP is not able to do the diagnoses or treatment, you will be referred to a specialist in the hospital.

You can collect prescriptive medicine at the pharmacy (apotheek). If you have medical insurance you can often claim back expenses.

Read more about the Dutch health care system