nl / en

What you should know about student housing

Student housing in the Netherlands – this is how it works

  • Start your search as early as possible and don’t wait until your formal admittance;
  • It will always be your own responsibility to find a suitable room/apartment;
  • Educational institutes often reserve furnished housing for international students with local student housing corporations. Availability is limited though, so be sure to check with your educational institution in time if you can apply for housing through them;
  • The Hague as a geographical area has a fundamental shortage of student housing facilities;
  • Bottleneck: first half of the college year – August through January;
  • Most educational organisations have an International Office or even a Housing Officer where further advice can be obtained;
  • Are you going to rent a residential property from a private individual? And is the basic rent below € 1,116,85? Or does the rental property have 185 points or less under the rental valuation system? Then you need an affordable housing permit. Apply for this on time at the municipality. This affordable housing permit is not necessary when renting a hospita-room or other independant living-space.

What else you should know about student housing!

With over 35,000 students looking for housing in an area with a shortage of accommodations, it will be a challenge to find a room in The Hague. Whoever expects to simply find accommodation in August, is bound to be unpleasantly surprised. It is therefore imminent to start your search for your room timely. In the Netherlands, educational institutions do not provide housing. This has to be done by students themselves. Furthermore, campuses are absent in almost all cases. In order to assist you in your search, you will find some useful information and tips here.

Other important considerations

Did you find yourself an accommodation? Make sure to register yourself upon arrival at the respective municipality. You need permission of your housing agency or landlord to register on the address. And you need the registration for your BSN: your citizen service number, which all government authorities and health insurances use to identify you.

Your educational institution will often offer to assist you in setting up an appointment. General information about this can be found on this page of the muncipality website

  • When you require a residential permit and/or a visa, your educational organisation will usually file for your appliance, assuming that you meet all requirements. Your educational institution will supply you with all relevant information. More general information can be found on the website of the Dutch immigration authority:
  • Make sure to have the appropriate level of health and liability insurances:
  • More general information about studying in the Netherlands: